Looking for new hands-on homeschooling ideas to spice up your week? Or a simple co-op theme? The newly released Not Just Tacos family cookbook may be just the thing you are searching for!
I had the privilege of reviewing Not Just Tacos: A Journey Into the World of Authentic Latin American Cuisine (by Shirley Solis) last month. Click here for my complete review. Shirley Solis is not a professional chef: She is a homeschooling mom of six with a passion to introduce families to the flavors, people and geography of Latin America. Shirley shares the heart behind Not Just Tacos in this video. Her mission shines through in every beautiful page, as you journey with your family to 22 Latin American countries through the vivid photography, authentic and delicious recipes, and cultural highlights shared in each chapter.
Not Just Tacos is not just a Latin Foods cookbook: It’s a roadmap to a delicious and inspiring family learning experience! You can easily use the book as a launching pad for weekly hands-on homeschooling or an informal family co-op that includes a study of geography, culture, cooking techniques, and even details about the spices that are commonly used in Latin American food. You’ll be engaging all the senses as your children are learning about each country, and you’ll be guaranteed at least one amazing home-cooked meal each week that you don’t have to make all by yourself.
Here’s a sample recipe you can put to use anytime:
Pico de Gallo (peeh-koh de gah-yoh), literally translated “rooster’s beak,” is a delicious salsa and a great addition to tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, rice, beans, or any meat.
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 bush cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Mix tomatoes, onion, scallion, cilantro, peppers.
- 2. Add lime juice, salt and olive oil. Toss and enjoy!
I chose to highlight this recipe because it’s simple, delicious, and multipurpose! We grew tomatoes, peppers, and green onions in our garden this summer, so we had plenty of fresh ingredients for this recipe at our fingertips. It’s not too spicy (take it from me, the spice wimp in our family) and it is so much tastier than store-bought Pico. We like it as a stand-alone dip with tortilla chips and add-on to lots of dishes we make regularly.
For more information on this wonderful homeschooling resource, see our complete review post.
This week NextGen Homeschool is proudly hosting a reader giveaway for a FREE COPY of the beautiful hardcover edition of Not Just Tacos — a $25 value! Enter to win below: Giveaway ends Sunday night, Oct. 20.
- Not Just Tacos – A Journey Into the World of Authentic Latin American Cuisine (Kindle Version) — only $9.99, save 60% and download immediately!
- Not Just Tacos — A Journey Into the World of Authentic Latin American Cuisine (Print Version) — only $19.81, save 21% (plus free shipping for Amazon Prime members)!
- Not yet an Amazon Prime member? Click here to learn more: Receive free shipping, video downloads and more!